Reading Assignment: Article
Promoting Sleep by Nursing Interventions in Health Care Settings: A Systematic Review
Amanda Hellstrom, Cecilia Fagerstrom, Ania Willman.
Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing. 44(1):E1-13, 2012 Feb.
Sleep disturbances are common problems among individuals in hospitals and institutions.
Although several studies have explored this phenomenon, there is still a lack of knowledge about
the effectiveness of sleep-promoting nursing interventions. This systematic review aims to describe and
evaluate the effectiveness of sleep-promoting nursing interventions in health care settings.
A systematic review was performed. In June 2009, a literature search was carried out in
the following databases: Academic Search Elite, CINAHL, the Cochrane Library and MedLine/PubMed.
Fifty-two references were identified and after critical appraisal, nine studies were selected. A compilation
of the results and the outcomes of the interventions were carried out. Furthermore, the evidence strength
of the interventions was assessed.
Little evidence for the nursing interventions, sleep hygiene, music, natural sound and vision,
stimulation of acupoints, relaxation, massage and aromatherapy is found. However, large effect size of
interventions were found when using massage, acupuncture and music, natural sounds or music videos.
The use of sleep hygiene and relaxation, on the other hand, produced only small effects.
The lack of high evidence strength for the nursing interventions together with the
uncertainty about their effects calls for more research before implementing these interventions into
Available full-text only from the Marianjoy network
The purpose of the online Nursing Journal Club is to facilitate the use of evidence-based practice in providing excellent nursing practice
- Identify the purpose of the study
- Describe the health implications for the sleep deprived
- Demonstrate sleep-promoting nursing interventions
- Understand limitations of the study
Contact Person: Cindy Bright, E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 630.909.8027
Provide your e-mail address
- you may use either your personal or Marianjoy e-mail address
- Article will be e-mailed to you
- E-mail will be used for discussion
For further information or any questions , please contact Cindy Bright
By the 27th of the month to receive article by 1st of the following month.
Available Credits: Article approved for 1.0 Contact Hours
Instructions for receiving the credits:
There are 3 parts to earning CE credit for this article. All components must be completed between All components must be completed between October 1 and October 31, 2012.
- After reading the article, there is a short post-test on the Learning Link. As part of the Nursing Journal Club, the post-test will automatically be loaded on your Learning Link plan. You must complete the post-test on or before October 31 and score at least 80% correct to earn CE credit.
- As part of the requirements to earn the CE credit, you must participate in a discussion about the article. This discussion will take place via e-mail. A Nursing Journal Club designee will generate the discussion on October 9. You must respond / participate in the discussion at least 1 time by October 27 to be compliant.
- An evaluation of this learning opportunity is required to obtain the CE credit. A link to the evaluation will be found in the post-test.
To receive contact hours, please click on the Learning Link icon below. This will bring you to the main page of the learning Link. Click the Search Scheduled Classes, select All Classes, and type in PRCH5029. Access the online evaluation survey. At the end of the survey, click on the link to send an e-mail request for your contact hour certificate. Available only from the WFH Network.
It should take you less than 1 hour to read the article, take the quiz and complete the evaluation.
As a member of the Nursing Journal Club, you will automatically receive subsequent articles on the first of each month. If you would like to cancel your membership at any time, please contact Cindy Bright via e-mail or contact her at 630.909.8027. We will send out a flyer announcing the next article approximately 2 weeks prior to sending it out.
We are excited that you are interested in this new opportunity. We welcome any comments or suggestions you may have.
Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital- Professional Practice Committee, (OH-387, 9/28/2013) is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Ohio Nurses Association (OBN-001-91), an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
As required by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Accreditation Program, we would like to make you aware of all potential conflicts of interest(s). This educational activity’s planners and presenters have indicated that they have no bias or conflict of interest. Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital has not received any commercial support for this program.